New Money Smart figures show that holidays account for $77 in the average Australian household’s weekly budget, adding up to a total of $4,004 a year. Prices for flights, car hire and accommodation peak in December and January, making the annual summer holiday and expensive exercise for families.
Here are some simple tips to save money on your summer holiday by using the sharing economy.
- Save $455 on car hire by borrowing a car through peer-to-peer car sharing service Car Next Door. A 7-day, 300km round trip in a small car with reduced insurance excess at peak time would cost around $750 in a traditional hire car. The same trip in a local car from Car Next Door would cost just $295.
- If you’re planning a motoring holiday, save on campervan hire with peer-to-peer service Camplify. Hiring a campervan that sleeps four people costs $260 a night from Jucy rentals, and around $90 a night through Camplify – a saving of $1,190 on a 7-day trip.
- Accommodation is one of the biggest costs of any holiday. A hotel room by the beach in December could cost around $2,335 for 7 nights. Book a spare room in someone’s home from around $935 for 7 nights with Airbnb and save $1,400.
- If your furry friend can’t come along on your holiday, you’ll need to find someone to look after them. A cattery or kennel at peak time can cost up to $350 a week. With MadPaws you can find a pet sitter near you to visit your pet each day from around $140 a week. You’ll save $210 and your four-legged friend gets to stay in the comfort and familiarity of their own home.
- No trip to the beach is complete without a day in the surf. Hiring a board from a surf rental company costs between $40-60 a day, or just $25 a day through peer-to-peer equipment rental platform, Quipmo – that’s a saving of $35.
- Save money and boot space by hiring baby gear from other parents through Kindershare. Hiring a portacot and pram from a traditional baby gear rental company would cost $80-100 a week. You’ll save around $60 a week using Kindershare.
- While you’re away rent out your unused driveway or parking spot to someone who needs it – and make around $250 a month withParkhound.
- Download the free GetReminded app to remind you when you need to update your passport, book all or parts of your holiday as well as reminders about travel insurance, holiday pet care and more.