I love a great donut or pizza roll. Such morsels give me an instant energy boost and a quick ‘happiness’ hit. Unfortunately, about 10 minutes after my little carb indulgence I am left feeling somewhat comatose and I have a lower mood than when I started. For this reason, I have a love-hate relationship with carbs.
If you are like my husband, who works physically all day or you are a runner for example – carbs are important for maintaining energy levels.
There are a lot of theories out there about carbs versus low or no-carb diets.
Here are a few of the pros and cons of eating carbs that are floating around:
Benefits of carbs and low-carb diets
Benefits of including carbs in your diet
- Boost your mood
- Prevent weight gain
- They’re good for your heart
- Can keep your memory sharp
- Can help blast fat
Benefits of a low carb diet
- Increases weight loss
- Improves blood sugar levels
- Decreases high blood pressure
- Lowers triglycerides – risk of obesity, diabetes and high cholesterol
- Lowers cholesterol
- Reduces insulin levels and resistance
- Reduces muscle loss
Why I like a low carb diet
- I feel lighter and more energetic
- I don’t get tired in the afternoons
- I feel less bloated
- Helps maintain my goal weight
- Allows me to enjoy carbs on special occasions
- I feel more energetic after waking up
- The meals feel healthier and more delicious
- I eat more nutrient rich foods (namely fruit & veg) when I don’t eat carbs
I wanted a quick list of delicious and lovely-to-eat low carb lunches I could use as a reference when buying groceries for the week. The result is the following great collection and Pinterest Board, which is packed with beautiful, indulgent yet low carb and low calorie lunch ideas you can try! Follow my other boards on Pinterest to start living a happier and healthier life in 2015.