Saving money on groceries is easy if you put your blinkers on. Simply, there are certain aisles and foods you should avoid. Being strategic about food choices will soon become a habit if you follow these few easy steps.
For the purpose of saving money at the supermarket, the food types to avoid are easy to recognise. They usually involve packaging!
Here are some quick tips for saving money on groceries
Ways not to save money:
Don’t do this:
- Buy anything that is over-packaged
- Avoid the middle aisles of the supermarket where food is generally processed
- Avoid buying junk food. Don’t buy chips, lollies, cakes and biscuits
- Avoid canned and processed foods that contain high levels of sugar and preservatives
Here are two better ways to shop and save:
- Shop around the edges of a supermarket where the food tends to be fresher
- Buy food that is in its natural jacket. E.g Buy an apple. Don’t buy apple in a can
If you avoid the types of food items mentioned above and use these practical money saving tips you will certainly save at the supermarket. Venturing down the middle aisles and buying processed foods will leave you feeling heavy with regret at the checkout when you receive the bill.
Keep it simple at the supermarket and keep practising these money-saving shopping strategies. Over time you will become a very smart shopper!