Due to popular demand here’s my big list of how to save thousands each year by shopping in the right places both online and offline.
This list combines a number of strategic shopping tactics including:
- Shopping online to save time and money
- Shopping at the right stores offline
- Weighing up your time and travel compared to shopping online
- Using technology and reminders when shopping online
- Becoming as organised as possible to produce big savings
These are the places I shop and the tactics I use to save time and money every week.
Random tip 1: Reasons to shop online
- Saves money – Buy in bulk and save big
- Save time – By traveling to the supermarket for little items
- Saves petrol – Getting to the supermarket / stores
- Sort by price – Sort by price and save time fishing for bargains in-store
- Avoid temptation – Avoid the temptation of other items and stores
Random tip 2: A few reasons to shop in store
- The convenience of getting what you need and now
- Get out of the house and meet new people on your travels
- Touch and feel goods
Random tip 3: Use your calendar
I use my calendar and phone alerts to make sure I stay organised. This is roughly my weekly run. Depending on my weekly schedule I will either shop in store (with my daughter) so we can get out of the house or online if time is limited.
Here’s my big list: 8 secret shopping tips for saving big on everyday items
1. Buying milk and bread
- Set up a weekly delivery and set and forget. I find Sat morning delivery is best.
- Just when you run out – there’s that fresh milk waiting at your door.
- Note: Buy two long life milks at Aldi to keep in the cupboard in case the kids drink all your milk in one day.
2. Buying groceries
- http://aldi.com.au Shop in store and save up to 40% on everyday items
- http://coles.com.au Shop online and sort by price / specials.
- http://woolworths.com.au Shop online and sort by price / specials.
- http://therejectshop.com.au For kids lunchbox and party snacks.
- Put a note in your weekly calendar to schedule delivery for Sat morning.
- Click and collect is also convenient but I prefer someone to carry those groceries to my kitchen bench.
3. Stock up your liquor cabinet
- Shop online and click and collect for FREE.
- Pick delivery for $7. Order on a Tues in time for the weekend.
- (2-4 business day delivery).
- Brand ‘Gossips’ or their six pack wine boxes are a great deal.
4. Meat, poultry & frozen seafood
- In Store: http://thetasman.com.au/ or http://aldi.com.au
- Shop in store for the month. Shop with a list. Be strategic. Pre-plan your dinners with a grocery list.
- Online: http://aussiefarmersdirect.com.au or http://coles.com.au (sort by price)
5. Cleaning products
- Online: http://www.bulkwholesale.com.au/ – Buy online and in bulk for the season. Put a note in your calendar for the beginning of each season.
- In Store: http://therejectshop.com.au – The Reject Shop for laundry items & toiletries.
6. Cheapest fuel
- Don’t get sucked into expensive fuel prices. Find the cheapest fuel near you with this great tool. http://www.comparethemarket.com.au/fuel/
7. Personal care items
- Chemist Warehouse: http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/
- The Reject Shop: http://www.therejectshop.com.au
- Your local $2 store
8. Clothes, gifts, party supplies & home décor
- Kmart – http://kmart.com.au
- The Reject Shop – http://www.therejectshop.com.au
- Deal sites like – http://deals.com.au or http://livingsocial.com.au
- Your local $2 store
- Deals Direct – http://dealsdirect.com.au
- Ebay – http://ebay.com.au
Do you have any secret tips for saving big on everyday items? Share them in the comments below.
NOTE: This is not a sponsored post.