If you love a story with a happy ending, where everyone ends up well…chuffed – come in close. I’m here to deliver a new concept in real estate that’s launching in Australia and I’m jiggling in my seat with excitement over it.
Here’s the short of it
This new concept is ‘a breath of fresh air’ and it’s going to change the way Australian’s do real estate – forever.
Timing is everything
Think prime time ‘bad tenant story’ from a show like A Current Affair. Mix that with a visual of 10 hungry bulldogs owned by a filthy dog-breeding pot-smoking tenant. Then add a real estate agent with limited management ability, no customer service skills and dodgy company processes. Now add a pinch of timing and children – school holidays. Sprinkle that recipe with distance. Our investment property is a 4-hour drive away. Serve that up with a week of losing income while shovelling up the mess in the country. (You don’t want to know what happened up there.) Finally, garnish that with a loss of $4000 (and that’s not including income) and you’ve got a picture of the kind of ‘out-of-pocket’ experience I’m talking about.
As you can imagine, this has been a recipe for ‘hell.’ The whole experience has left me with a really bad taste in my mouth.
That’s why I was so happy to hear this…
If you’ve ever bought or sold a house in Australia via a real estate agent, or plan to, this story is for you.
Have you experienced any of these frustrations?
Such experiences are not ‘fun to have,’ but I admit – they do make for gripping ‘hindsight’ stories at parties.
By the end of the process (the sale) buyers and sellers are exhausted. They’ve barely the energy to raise a glass in celebration. They just want their lives back.
Most refer to this phenomena as – ‘sleeping at night.’
Lack of transparency and shifty acts
In fact, here’s a shifty act we personally experienced:
We got chatting over the garden fence and I mentioned we tried to buy their old place. We happened to know it was them, because we had also put a bid on the house they bought. During the conversation we mutually discovered the offer was never given to the vendor. They were devastated to realise they’d missed out on a cool $50k due to this shifty lack of transparency.
But don’t worry – there were winners in this story alright:
- No surprise – the real estate agency. They walked away with their fat auction check and big commission on the home.
- The ‘lucky guy’ who snapped up a piece of premium real estate at the last minute for a song (hmm…).
Owners losing money due to dodgy agent’s doing dodgier ‘in-house’ deals.
Yep. I’ve heard all kinds of stories about agents not only selling houses to their friends, but also snapping up deals for themselves or family members.
Agents completely leaving homeowners out of the sale process and ‘keeping them in the dark’ until the ‘final offer’ is received.
Come on guys.
No-one likes to go to a party and get ignored in the corner.
Even, my kid knows that…
Finally, buying and selling houses is totally inconvenient for most of us. The task is way too time-consuming for busy mums, dads, consumers, working people and everyone inbetween. I looked at a total of 35 houses over eight weeknights and weekends before buying.
In the end we moved suburbs and just grabbed the house we’re in now because it was a stinking hot day in summer (42 degrees) and we were ‘over it.’
Thankfully, four years on – we’re extremely happy with our purchase.
But that could have turned out another way – like, uh… disaster.
For all of the above reasons, I’m stoked Australia’s got a new real estate BFG
Here’s my super short version of this happy story
- You save about $15,000k
- You pay one flat fee upfront to sell your house
- If you don’t have the flat fee ($4,500 inc GST) you can defer the whole cost of the fee until settlement
- You won’t pay agent fees after the deal
- You can watch offers for your home come in live any time of the day or night
- If you want to go to auction you only pay an additional $825 dollars!!!!!! (Hooray!!!!)
- Their customer-service is premium with 24/7 around the clock help
- They are open when other Real Estate Agents are closed
- Purplebricks Local Property Experts are fully licensed
- Transparency is key – Negotiating with buyers is your choice (You can choose to negotiate or have your highly qualified Purplebricks Local Property Expert take care of it and they will do everything for you)
- When a sale is agreed upon a dedicated Sales Support team will guide you through the conveyancing process
Here’s a nifty visual of the kind of goodness I’m talking about:
Here’s a scenario of how you might sell your house on Purplebricks
- You read this story or see a story on the telly
- Head over the Purplebricks website and register online to sell your house
- You use their calendar to ‘book an appointment time’ with your local PB rep
- Your rep with give you a no-obligation appraisal and offer their advice and expertise
- They will personally support your throughout to achieve the highest possible price
- You instruct Purplebricks to sell
- They provide all marketing including a floor plan, description, professional photography and signage to sell your home
- If you choose to sell by auction the cost of an auctioneer and open days are also included in the fixed fee
- Your fully licensed Local Property Expert will prepare your advertisement for the leading property websites including realestate.com.au, domain.com.au and purplebricks.com.au
- Your home can be up for sale and ‘on the market’ in Australia within 48 hours and visible to millions of potential buyers instantly
- Your local expert becomes your advocate and manages the entire process for you
- You start receiving offers online
- You sell your house at the agreed price
- You don’t pay a commission
A further note on auctions
So why am I calling ‘Purplebricks’ Australia’s Big Friendly Giant?
Why purple I asked?
Their goals for a name included ‘strength, integrity and something regal.’
And so Purplebricks was born.
What can you do with all those savings?
Here are my big tips on what you can do with the savings you make from considering Purplebricks
Many people who buy houses neglect to factor in renovation costs after a home purchase. Spend the $15k on those first renovation tasks to make your house more liveable straight away. Or buy a house, do a quick ‘cosmetic’ renovation on it, flip it and then move into a dreamier house.
Clear bad debts like car and credit card loans. Stop paying high interest and improve your credit rating. The less debt you have, the more chance you will have to borrow for purchasing real estate in the future. Banks love debt-free punters.
- Their flat-fee commission rate
- They offer full 24/7 support
- Outstanding customer service
- The solution fits around customer’s busy lives
- You can accept live offers online
- Their Local Experts are fully licensed, industry experienced and they’re pleasing people (they have a five-star rating on Trustpilot from over 7,391 UK reviews)
- They’re breaking down cost barriers to sale for consumers
- They’re creating clear lines of communication between buyers and sellers
- You can track your property sale from start to finish
- You can choose your level of involvement in the process
- They provide full information and transparency
- You’ll also receive a post sales support team
- Their ‘taskforce’ of fully licensed experts are at hand
- You can put your property on ‘pause’ if you want to take a break
- You can keep your property up until it sells
Why Aussies are loving Purplebricks
I’m giving Purplebricks my FIVE STAR RATING
Once orphaned by agents – no more…
Australia’s No.1 Savings Blogger