If you want to learn how to save money on groceries before embarking on a mission with shopping list in hand, read on. These tips will certainly make you question any timeworn shopping traditions. These tips will have you rugged up on the couch with a hot chocolate and laptop before the kettle boils. I promise!
My strategic supemarket shopping tactics include questioning leaving the house at all, locking oneself in the kitchen, and getting cosy with real cash (as opposed to the plastic stuff). Not only will these tips result in massive savings over the course of one year, you will also wallow in luxury of more time on the couch (or in the garden or with the kids) rather than spending those minutes in the money-sucking aisles of a supermarket.
How to save money on groceries | Become a sofaliser! Shop online…
Question leaving the house!
Shop online if you believe you can save more money. Save money by sorting by price and reducing the temptation to buy extra grocery items.
Ask yourself the right questions
If you want to learn how to save money on groceries you will need to ask the right questions. Here are some example questions you can ask before deciding to do a grocery shop:
- Have you shopped in your kitchen first?
- Do you really need to do a grocery shop at all?
- Can you stretch out your grocery shop until next week?
- Would you like to save $200 this week?
- Should I go back inside and have a rethink?
Keep eco-bags permanently in the car. This way you will never forget them and you will not spend extra money on plastic bags.
How to save money on groceries | Go forth with cash in hand
If you don’t have cash stop at an ATM and get cash out. Now leave your ATM card in the car when you go into the supermarket. This will help with sticking to your budget. Keep receipts.
- Walk to the supermarket if you are only going there for a few essential items. The exercise is beneficial and you can only drag home essential items.
- Ride a bike to the supermarket. For the same reason you will purchase fewer items because you cannot them home.
Weigh it up
Do not travel 30 minutes to save a few dollars. Always weigh up your time versus what you plan to save.
How to save money on groceries | Get inconvenient with it
Be prepared to drive to a certain store for big discounts. Conduct bulk shopping trips for the month. Books like Table Tucker make this super easy!
Weigh up travel time, shopping time and cost. Compare these actions with shopping online.
Map it out
Research the cheapest suppliers in your area and map out a specific run for your grocery shop. Plan a day and time to execute your shop.
- If you have to travel further to purchase groceries partner up with a friend and take turns driving one another to the supermarket. You can halve the cost of petrol and save money. Over the course of one year this once action can produce significant savings.
- Try to source cheap suppliers closer to home to save on petrol when grocery shopping.
- Tag your grocery shop onto another event. For example, plan to shop after dropping the kids off at school if you are an at-home mum.
How to save money on groceries | Need more great tips?
If you need more ideas on how to save money on groceries download money saving cheat sheets and printables! Use up leftovers, create quick and easy meals, find healthy budget lunch and dinner ideas!
- 75+ awesome ways to save on alcohol
- 250 essential tips for saving on food and groceries
- 50 sneaky ways to hide fruit and veggies in food
- 130+ easy cook-ahead dinners for the freezer
- 150+ beaut budget dinner ideas
- 50+ simple meal ideas using sausages
- 250+ super foods for a better you
- 100 happy and healthy high fibre foods
- 50 great ideas for using up roast beef leftovers
- 100 wicked ways with a supermarket roast chicken
- 300+ easy ideas for a happy lunch box
- 100 easy dinner ideas using minced beef
- 50 simple ways to use up leftover Christmas ham
- 100+ budget meal ideas using Aldi ingredients